Thursday, May 8, 2014

May 8, 2014 – Windows Windows Everywhere

I’m considering another change in career, construction apprentice.  Thus far it looks like we have 22 replacement windows that need to be replaced.  I’m wondering if whomever we hire will take me in as an apprentice so I can learn all things windows.  Heck if I was younger I’d like to brush up my roofing skills but I’m not too keen on the height thing.  In my teen years I don’t think twice about being the roof,  it was just cool and what could possibly go wrong? Ah the bliss of ignorance.


Onward and upward, I met with another window installer today.  Honestly this meeting was just to get some concept of pricing but I don’t think they are equipped to do all the aspects that we will need.  Now that doesn’t prevent the meeting from being somewhat amusing.  The sales guy asked me what I wanted the windows to do. “Do?”  I actually asked him to clarify that question because what could he possibly be asking me, it had to be a trick question.  Oh no, it’s not a trick, what features do I want in my windows.  Hmmm, I would like them to let the cool air in, when intended, and to keep the elements (rain, snow, hail, locusts) out when they are closed.  This is not rocket science.  They he asked how long I would like the windows to last.  Really?  So I responded until I die plus 1 day.  Then he asked me if I wanted to windows to increase the value of the home.  I explained I didn’t want the windows to DECREASE the value of the home and that if I end up in a nursing home may be tempted to take them with me.  Oh and the final question, when would we be looking to have these windows replaced.  Now this question is not unreasonable, I understand the scheduling thing but I can’t seem to impress upon these guys the fact that we want this done… now… now… before hurricane season…. before we have a ton of rain storms that potentially cause more damage, before we have a bunch of rain storms and I’m a nervous wreck worrying about water leaking through light fixtures, before my night terror spiders are replaced by giant windows chasing me.  Speaking of, surprisingly there have been no night terrors as a result of all of this.  At least that I am aware of, I take that as a good sign that I really am not overly stressed by all of this.  I’m just on task of getting it resolved.


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment