Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11, 2012 – Munich

Let’s see:  It was a 4 hour drive to Munich and a 6 ½ hour drive back.  You might be asking yourselves how that could possibly be?  Well remember my hope that the GPS lady would play nice?  The ride home she decided that: “Due to current traffic conditions your route has been changed.”  That was an understatement.  She tacked up a 100+ kilometers and a couple of hours taking us the scenic route back to Zurich.  Since we don’t have a clue, we were at her mercy, the bitch.
 
Regardless, we had a nice weekend.  We arrived and immediately hooked up with Mike’s Bike Tours, taking part in a 4 hour tour of Munich.  For some reason, I kept thinking of Gilligan’s island while we were on our 4 hour tour.  Although, I think Gilligan and the crew were on a 3 hours tour.  I didn’t get to take many pictures but L’s sister took several of these guys for me who were surfing in a river.  It was pretty cool:



 

Things I should have known but apparently forgot:

Munich is where Hitler rose to power along with the Nazi party.  I read the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich but that little tidbit did not stick with me.


The Dachau Memorial is fairly close to the city.  We didn’t go, I just didn’t think I was in the right place emotionally to wander through that but someday I think I will go back.  I also didn’t realize that Dachau was a kind of clearing house.  That almost everyone who was sent to the concentration camps were initially sent there and then, for lack of a better word, sorted.
 

On a different note:


Our hotel room had a very nice yet somewhat puzzling bathroom:

 

Notice the hot and cold faucets way above the toilet.  If I was standing in the picture they would be just over my head.  Seriously, what the heck are they used for?  They don’t control the water in the shower.  D was going to turn the knobs to see what happened but I mentioned that all I could envision was water shooting out of the toilet like a fountain.  No one wanted to witness that.  Besides, if that really did happen the person turning the knobs would be soaked.  Ick.




Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I have been to that exact same place! I have shots of the scene from right where you are standing as well as from the bridge in the background! So cool to see that they still do it all these years later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to visit Germany for a long time. I had the coolest German teacher when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete