Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24, 2012 – Book Review – Whatever Gods May Be by Sophia Kell Hagin


Book Review – Whatever Gods May Be by Sophia Kell Hagin

Publisher: Bold Strokes Books
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama

 
Book Summary from the Bold Strokes website:

“Jamie Gwynmorgan doesn’t believe in prayer.  She doesn’t believe in anything much.  Except that people can’t be trusted—certainly not anyone she’s ever met.

But Jamie knows some things.  From experience.  She knows if she died, nobody would give a damn.  Nobody would even notice.  She knows the better she can fight, the safer she’ll be. That’s why she can’t resist the sleek, dark lethality of the weapon—and the recruiter’s promise that yes, if she’s strong enough, good enough, she’ll get to fire that weapon in combat.  She doesn’t care about the uniform.  And screw the pretend-camaraderie.  Only Safe matters—and if she can do combat, then maybe she can fight her way to Safe.

Jamie expects a grueling fight that she might lose.  What she never expects is to win love.”
 

Book Review:
3 out of 5 stars

I will admit that I judged this book by its’ cover.  I’ve scrolled on by it numerous times over the last couple of years and my reaction was always, “hmmm no”.  On occasion as I was scrolling by I may have read the book summary but I still wasn’t really interested.  Granted, this is all subjective I couldn’t tell you what about the cover didn’t grab me, I just know that if I am in a store or online sometimes the cover itself grabs my attention and makes me pick up a book.  Although, I think it’s the cover/title combination that usually grabs me.

Then a couple of weeks ago I got a coupon from Bella Books.  Yes I know an entirely different publisher but what the heck they were cross selling and the coupon tipped me over the edge to try the book.  I’m glad I did because the story itself was intriguing.  I haven’t a clue why the last sentence in the book summary says “What she never expects is to win love.”   That implies this is a romance novel.  It really is not.  At best the love Jamie finds appears to be deep friendship/familial love.  So don’t get your hopes up. 

We meet Jamie Gwynmorgan while she is on the bus heading towards basic training.  This is a military/war based story.  I haven’t a clue if the technology military descriptions are accurate or made up.  It didn’t matter to me, it’s just part of the story.  We quickly learn that Jamie doesn’t give up, she’s always thinking ahead and how to get to the next step and above all how to keep herself and the people around her safe and alive. 

There are a couple of things I found a little confusing in the story.  We periodically hear about hear snippets throughout the story about her life growing up and “Alby”.  It took me reading ¾ of the book to get a clue that Alby and her mother are one in the same.  I also never understood the random hallucination or day dream of the white haired woman that Jamie would hear/see or how that added value to the story.   For me the second ½ of the story was a better read and I almost wish it started at that point and took the ending out a bit further because relationships between Jamie and Senator Hillinger and Jamie and the Major General Ben Embry were interesting and I would have enjoyed finding out what happened next.


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment