Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 16, 2012 – Book Review – Rhapsody by KG MacGregor


Rhapsody by KG MacGregor

Publisher: Bella Books  
Genre: Romance

ISBN-13:  9781594932939e


Book Description from the Bella Books Website:

“After eleven years on the anchor desk at TV4, Ashley Giraud is one of the most beloved figures in Tampa Bay. That’s how she likes her love—distant and impersonal. Outwardly sociable with her coworkers and viewers, she can’t wait to get back to her gated home and garden.

When her longtime stylist goes out of business, she follows a colleague’s recommendation to Rhapsody, a small salon that serves as a hub for an eclectic group of lesbian friends. Despite Ashley’s efforts to remain aloof, she soon trades her solitude for roller skates, swing dancing and the emotional ups and downs of new friends.

Never before has she felt so contented in the company of other women. Even so, there’s always the whisper from the past. Would any of them, especially Julia Whitethorn, the charismatic, appealing owner of Rhapsody, care about her if they knew the terrible secret she’s kept for twenty years?”


Book Review:
3 ½ stars out of 5
 
This review may contain spoilers

Ashley Giraud lives her entire life by a set of incredibly strict rules that give her the ability to control every aspect of her life, or at least the illusion of control.  Her need for such extreme control stems from her childhood experiences.

The book goes into enough detail to know that Ashley was sexually abused as a young girl by a woman she trusted and in a juvenile way believed she loved.  The book does not go into graphic detail describing the abuse, for which I am thankful, but it allows the reader enough insight to fully grasp the situation. 

Needless to say Ashley’s life revolves around controlling her inner demons and insolating herself from the world.  Which is funny since she has a career which makes her a public figure, but we quickly learn that being a public figure works perfectly into the rules she lives by and the persona she wants to portray and never really allowing anyone to see the real person.

There were points in this story where I wondered if Ashley even knew who the “real” Ashley is. 

Early in the story Ashley meets Julia, who I will say has the patience and understanding of a Saint.  I have to admit, that sometimes her level of understanding and patience irked me but then again I have the patience of a gnat.

The story is written in a way where it seems to make small leaps forward in time and this actually works well for the overall story because lord knows the book would be the size of War and Peace if it documented every aspect of Ashley and Julia’s journey.

Here’s the one thing that disappointed me with the story.  It felt like it just ended.  KG MacGregor gave an ending that allows the reader to assume things continued to progress in a positive manner but it left me wanting to know definitively that Ashely and Julia had worked through the last major stepping stone in their relationship; which, as I type this, makes me realize that I was more invested in the characters than I originally thought.



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. I read the first part of the review but skipped the part with spoilers. It sounds like a good plot. I'm going to see if I can get it on my Kobo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the "K" stand for Kinley? I can only find Kinley MacGregor on Kobo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losara - I honestly don't know what the "K" stands for. I may be wrong but I think the Kobo device supports the following book formats: EPUB, PDF, and MOBI.

      It also looks like you can purchase books from other sites, download them to your computer and then drag and drop them to your KOBO reader. The following link/article explains the ways you can get books onto your KOBO.

      I actually do something similiar with my Kindle because I like to support the publishers whenever feasible. Anyway if you can do that, you should be able to get the book directly from Bella Books. Just click the Publisher Link in my Blog and it should take you right to the site. Good Luck!

      http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/index.jsp?requestType=NormalRequest&source=3&id=1662&sessionId=aeece027-e82c-11e1-a7dd-8520971da3fd&question=How+do+I+add+a+book

      Delete