Monday, August 13, 2012

August 13, 2012 – London 2012 Olympics



Let’s talk about the Olympics.  I have no doubt you are Olympic’d out but I thought I’d share a quick round up of our trip.  This is my first trip to the Olympics and I don’t think I have ever been to something that is/was quite so large.  Sure, I’ve been to Disney World but I don’t think that even comes close to the numbers of people traipsing about in London.   Major Kudos have to go to everyone who put this together and especially to all of the volunteers.  I’m not kidding there were “London Ambassadors” everywhere.  We got off the plane and there we a bunch in the airport giving us directions and helpful hints.  I am not exaggerating when I say, if you were anywhere remotely near London, there was a volunteer in a uniform pointing people in the correct direction.  They were really wonderful.



So the events:
Volleyball
We got to see the Women’s Volleyball Team play




What I learned is I never want to get in the way of a volleyball that has been spiked by any of these women.  Oh and some of these women are GIANTS.  Look at #12, I don’t think that girl needs to jump to reach over the net





Field Hockey

We watched Great Britain v. Australia in the Bronze Medal match.  Great Britain won.  This was a lot of fun for me to watch, in part because I love the game and because the crowd was really into the game.  We were sitting behind one of the goals so the pics I tried to take are really out of focus.



Women’s Soccer/Football

This was the Gold Medal Match USA v Japan.  Again we were behind the goal line and got to see quite a few saves made by Hope Solo.  Japan was very aggressive in their play.  This was definitely one of the more exciting things we got to watch







Women’s Basketball

We watched both of the final matches

Russia v Australia for the Bronze medal.  This match was ok, it definitely picked up in the 4th quarter, but wasn’t as exciting as I expected.  Oh and can someone please explain to me how Becky Hammon was on the Russian Team?  Ok that’s really sort of a rhetorical question.  I googled it.
 

USA v France

Yes, it was kind of cool to see people I know (not know personally) playing and very cool that they were from UCONN.  Beyond that, the game was actually kind of dull. The French crowd was into the game and cheering but overall they were overmatched.  Although at one point there were so many bad passes made by the US team I wanted someone to explain to them that the people in the blue uniforms were not their teammates.   






Overall it was a great trip, we had a lot of fun the people were wonderful and just being in the atmosphere was very cool



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. wow i can't believe you guys seen all this...amazing!

    ReplyDelete