Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 1, 2012 – Rabbit and Workouts


Isn’t that what you are supposed to say at the beginning of a month for good luck?  We all know saying “Snail” sure as heck isn’t going to help.

So what’s new and exciting?  I’ve becoming a wee bit obsessed with the distress I feel over my current state of body image.  How’s that for a roundabout way of saying “I’m fat” and don’t like it.  So many of you know that I have a polar heart rate monitor, which I love, and it allows me to track my exercise progress, calories burned, and distance traveled.  I say distance traveled because it lets me know how far I run and it should also let me know the distance I bike if I ever get my bike on the road.  The other nice thing is that polar has “polar communities” where people create challenges and you can join in and compete against other people.  I’m finding that it helps to have a goal and to be competing against other people.  It’s almost as good as having someone to work out with.  So right now I’ve joined two challenges, one I was invited to: A 31 day challenge to see how many calories you can burn, but not more than 1000 in a day.  I’m kind of into this challenge, but I can’t imagine how much I would have to work out in a day to burn 1000 calories but I want to.  I googled it, and hey if I run 10mph I can burn 1000 calories in an hour.  Hello if I could RUN 10mph I wouldn’t need to burn 1000 calories a day.  Sure I could run 10mph for a few minutes, maybe even 5 if some crazy person welding a butcher knife was chasing me.  Then I’d have all sorts of incentive to run until my heart explodes.  Hmmm, maybe we could make that a new aerobics/weight loss trend: “Need a personal trainer to keep you motivated?  For $50 and hour we’ll chase you with a wickedly sharp butcher knife and cut you if you don’t run fast enough or long enough.”  Actually, now that I’ve said that out loud it sounds more like a typically mugging in any of the major cities at home.  Obviously this marketing plan won’t work.

So where was I?  Oh yeah, how the heck do I burn 1000 calories in a day?  It looks like I need to jog at my humanly slow pace for 120 mins and or bike for a similar amount of time.  First off we all know I hate to run and the thought of running 120 mins mentally makes me want to crawl back into bed.  So maybe if I can actually manage to run for an hour and bike for an hour I can work this out.  That’s my goal.  Plus it feeds nicely into my goal of actually riding my damn bicycle in Switzerland.  I will defeat the scary hill.  Seriously, worst case I walk up and down the hill right?  Right!

 


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

5 comments:

  1. I think there is a groupon for a deal to get 4 mugging packages for the price of 1. That should help you burn some calories.

    Or you could charge someone else to mug them, then you get the money and the exercise of chasing them.

    Win Win!

    BOB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Bob and I thought I was twisted... the groupon comment almost got me to spit soda onto my laptop

      Delete
  2. How about thinking outside the box (run/bike)? Are there any zumba classes in your area? It's pretty intense and burns lots of calories. I know you can't picture me doing zumba (and it's not a pretty picture), but I started in January and do it 2-3x a week now. I look ridiculous, but it's become a good cardio workout and my happy drug (it must generate a lot of endorphins). Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor Meri went to a Zumba class not too long ago she loved it and said we should go. I just made an assumption that I would suck at it because aerobics throws me for a loop, but I'll look into it. Worst case it makes for a funny story

      Delete
  3. It's so pretty! I add your blog feed to my Google reader list...

    ReplyDelete