Monday, April 16, 2012

April 16, 2012 – Book Review – High Hopes Farm by Maree Kenneally

High Hopes Farm by Maree Kenneally

Publisher:  Self-published?
Romance

Product Description From Amazon

When Kate Thompson returns from college to her family sheep farm with her boyfriend Dylan in tow, she expects to take her place as her father’s right-hand on the farm. Instead she returns to a farm in ruin, and a father in despair. Her relationship begins to crumble, and Kate’s dreams crumble with it. When tragedy strikes, Kate finds herself caring for her distraught mother while battling her own grief and a dysfunctional relationship. Summoning all her strength, Kate seeks help from two courageous young women- Leah and Jess.

High Hopes Farm is the story of three young women who must each pick up the pieces of their broken hearts and dreams and find the courage to head into uncharted territory if they ever want a chance at achieving their dreams. Can they find happiness after so much death and ruin? And when new love comes into Kate’s life, will she take a leap of faith?

Review:
2.5 Stars out of 5

First I should point out that I’m pretty sure this is a self-published book and in many ways that colors my opinion because I think it takes a lot of effort to put a book together and to do that on your own is pretty impressive.  At least to me.

The story itself was pretty good, not great but I enjoyed reading it and frankly that’s more than ½ the battle.  Could it have been a great story?  Absolutely!  The premise was interesting and the characters were as well.  I think where it fell short for me was with the character Dylan.  The story seemed to be setting him up as the character who could have been used to add an element of suspense into the story.  He comes across as a bigoted drunkard who would stoop to any level to hurt Kate, but then the story never takes advantage of that.  Then again, maybe that’s just the mood I was in where I wanted the women of the story to not only be successful but to kick some ass too.

Would I recommend it, sure it’s an easy pleasant read and if I came across another of her stories I would give that a try if for no other reason than to see Maree Kenneally’s style develop.


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment