Friday, March 23, 2012

March 23, 2012 – Taxes and Irrational Fears

I know I said I was going to try and not discuss them but I can’t help it I find them stressful.  I long for the days when I could open turbo tax, enter my info (or download it) push a button and file electronically.  I’m actually at the point when I think filing my federal taxes as single and then mocking up a dummy federal joint return so we can file our state taxes… is easy.  At least I understand what’s going on.

Now I have:

Estimated Federal and State taxes because I’m self employed, which actually isn’t that bad.

401K/SEP/Keogh Salary deferral and profit sharing retirement plans.

Foreign tax credits, which I think roll over for 10 years after we return to the US which means I have 10 more years of confusing tax filings.

I’m a little fish in a confusing big pond and you just know that somewhere down the line the IRS is going to come knocking saying “Hey in 2010 you forgot to carry the decimal and you owe us $10,000.”  Ok we all know that won’t happen.  This is just another irrational fear like the one I have about dying and being at the gates of heaven and the guard won’t let me in because I littered in 1972.

Or my most recent irrational fear/behavior:  I realized the other day that when I get into the elevator in the building I try to never push the buttons with the pad of my finger.  Why?  Because I don’t want to leave any fingerprints.  You know… just in case.  In case of what?  Who knows, some nefarious person out there might lift m fingerprint and set me up for some crime I didn’t commit.  Hey, it’s possible.  Oh and if I do accidently leave a possible fingerprint, I wipe down the surface.  Yeah, I’m not making it easy on you.



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about gloves for a while. I think they are a good idea. We should bring them back. This site has 6 pages, but do they have something that goes with t-shirts?
    http://www.greatweddingz.com/category/z.weddings.weddinggloves/

    ReplyDelete