Monday, February 6, 2012

February 6, 2012 – Book Review – 96 Hours by Georgia Beers

96 Hours by Georgia Beers
Publisher: Bywater Books

Romance

Product Description From Bywater Books:

"9/11. Numbers carved on the hearts of every American. Numbers that transformed millions of lives. Numbers that threw two women together.

Erica Ryan is flying home from London after a disastrous business trip. Free spirit Abby Hayes is flying into New York City to visit her mother before jetting off again when their flight is diverted to Gander, Newfoundland.

The people of Gander are generous, and Erica and Abby are invited into a stranger’s home. It’s a simple act of kindness, and it draws the unlikely pair together.

For 96 hours Erica and Abby share a rollercoaster of emotions and eventually find themselves drawn to one another. Will their nascent connection survive everyday life when they return home?"

Review:
4 out of 5 stars

I had the pleasure of meeting Georgia Beers in PTown during women’s week.  She was promoting 96 Hours.  As a good rule of thumb I will read anything that she puts out because I like her as an author.  However, and this is a big “however” I really couldn’t foresee that I would read this one.  In fact, I told her that there was really no way that I would be able to read it.  Using 9/11 as a backdrop for a story is pretty brave, but I know that I personally still get incredibly emotional even discussing 9/11 so I couldn’t imagine putting myself in a situation where I would willingly read a story that revolves around those events.  Thus, the avoidance began.  Except it keeps popping up in my recommended to read lists and finally someone I know on Goodreads wrote a review that they liked it.  So, I decided to suck it up and be brave and read it.

I read the book yesterday and yes there were several spots that made me cry; the brief recounts of the planes striking the towers and the aftermath.  Thank God I was smart enough to read it when I was not suffering from PMS or I might have shorted out my Kindle.  Having said that, I think Georgia Beers handled the book in a way that lets the reader understand the events that throws Erica and Abby together without overwhelming them.  The best description I can say is that she handled it sensitively while letting the characters work through the tragedy and make connections to each other and the people around them.

I’m glad that I read the book.  I liked how Georgia Beers handled the characters and how they were changed by the events.  It felt real and relatable because I don’t know anyone who was not changed by those events in large and small ways.  Would I recommend other people read it? Absolutely, with a small caveat:  if you were in or near NYC on 9/11 maybe read it with a box of tissue, a glass of wine, and when you are not PMSing.




Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment