Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February 15, 2012 – Random Thoughts/Gram


Two days.  Maybe 2 and ½ days until vacation.  Of course I have to survive the 12 hour flight 1st.  That is going to be a trick.  The good thing is that we leave Friday evening so I will take my meds and hope for some sleep during at least some of the flight.  We start off on Swiss Air and then switch to South African Air in Johannesburg.  Let’s just hope that if there is a night terror during the flight it happens on Swiss Air and not the next flight.  Somehow I image the Swiss being unphased by a sleeping woman screaming in the middle of a flight.  Well that and I’m pretty sure they would console me with chocolate.  Yes, I’m still all about the chocolate.  I have no idea when this happened.

Have I ever told you about my grandmother?  I blame her for my sweet tooth.  When I was younger I thought that she just didn’t eat very much.  It wasn’t until I was older that I was clued into the fact that she was making sure to leave room for dessert.  For some reason I remember her really liking Poppycock, the popcorn and caramel mix that was way better than Cracker Jack because it didn’t have peanuts.  Later in life she had a thing for… what are those square ice cream bars covered in chocolate?  My brother has a thing for them now.   I think they have a polar bear on the logo.  She taught my brother, sister and me how to play poker when we were in elementary school.  We would use her pennies for bidding, although, I don’t really remember playing for very long because we really wanted to play pinochle.    I have no idea how old we were when we learned how to play that card game but they were in the new house, so we must have been 10 or 11 years old.  I have no doubt my sister will remember.  I also remember my Gram and her sister my Aunt Edith playing basketball with us.  We really had a lot of fun.


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2012, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Memories of Grammy. Those were good times. I don't know how old we were when we learned pinochle, but maybe we were about 8 when she taught us poker. Do you remember her arm wrestling with Danny and winning every time? I don't think he beat her until he was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. /What would you do for a Klondike bar!!! lalalalla


    No freaking out on the plane.... not allowed. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete