Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December 20, 2011 – No News Is Good News


Doctor’s seem to live by the adage that no news is good news and as a general rule of thumb it works for me.  If I go in for my routine exam and the doc runs the routine tests and everything is normal I’m good with not hearing from you until it’s time for my next appointment.

Here’s where things get tricky and what I recently discovered (yesterday) does not work for me. If one of those tests comes back with “mildly abnormal results” finding a letter in the mail that states:

 “Your test came back showing some mildly abnormal changes.  When this happens we check for X and that test result came back negative.  This is a good thing.  No treatment is necessary, but we need you to schedule a follow up test.”

I mean seriously, I read the letter.  I saw the word mildly and yet the word “mildly” did not make me feel better.  Of course this is combined with the slight mix of aggravation that I found out via a LETTER in the first place.  A letter dated a month ago… sent to my home in Connecticut.  When if the Doc or anyone in the office took a moment to read the chart they would know I temporarily live in SWITZERLAND and that they could CALL me on a local number.  Needless to say I was a little perturbed last night when I found the letter, and this morning when I woke up at 4am still thinking about it.  In fact it was only after I started this blog that I started to feel better about the entire thing.  It forced me to read the letter a few more times and that’s when I realized that the letter really would have been better worded as follows:

Dear CAB:

We have some Good News and Some Bad News:  The Good News: You don’t have X the Bad News: Your test results were a little hinky and want to do a follow up test in 6 months to keep an eye on things.

Sincerely



 Alrighty then, now that I am feeling better and will be calling the doc to schedule a follow up in response to said hinky test results.  Y’all have a nice day now.  I plan on having a nice day as well.



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I hope all is well. I can never forget the first time I heard we did the xray now we need a cat scan, same results - malignant tumor on my left lung. I just sat in my car shocked. Now the second time they told me it was back...the shock was less..but still felt like i was k. o. I am not going back for follow ups anymore.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. seems to be going around lately. sorry it got you too.

    ReplyDelete