Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2, 2011 – Book Review: A Pirates Heart by Catherine Friend


A Pirates Heart by Catherine Friend
Romance
Published by: Bold Strokes Books www.boldstrokesbooks.com

Summary from the Bold Strokes Website:

“Four women, a long-lost treasure, and more than one “thief of hearts” share a destiny beyond time.

To foil a map thief, librarian Emma Boyd searches for a pirate's long-lost treasure map. She’s aided in her search by investigator Randi Marx, who proves to be as frustrating as she is beautiful. The treasure map Emma and Randi seek belonged to Thomasina Farris, a pirate who disappeared from the Caribbean in 1715. Did Captain Tommy steal an entire treasure from a Spanish galleon and escape? Was she convicted of piracy and hanged by her neck? Did she die of a broken heart when she lost the woman she loved?

In her race to find the map, Emma learns that pirates not only steal treasure, but they also steal hearts. When Emma discovers Captain Tommy’s fate, she must decide her own as well, choosing between romance...or revenge.”


Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars

I’m going to consider myself extremely lucky because I’ve been on a role of really enjoying the books that I have read lately.  This one falls into that category as well.

I don’t consider myself a big “pirate” story girl but the story is told from two points of view:  The reader gets to experience the story as it unfolds during Tommy Farris’s life (the Pirate Captain), and the reader gets to follow the present day story/adventure of Emma Boyd as she tracks down Captain Farris’ hidden treasure map and the person who has been stealing rare maps from libraries.  Eventually, the stories intertwine as Emma pieces more of Captain Farris’ life and eventual death together.



Once I would start reading I found it difficult to put the book down because I wanted to know what was going to happen next.  From my perspective, work gives my brain and patience enough of a daily workout so when I sit down to read a book, I want to be engaged and entertained.  I want to relax and “see” the characters come to life in my imagination.  What I don’t want is to feel like have to exert effort to get through the story.  (I’m reading three of those books right now.  Pick one up, read a bit, go to a different one.  I want to finish them I just can’t stay focused on them for long periods). “A Pirates Heart” was perfect in this regard.



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment