Sunday, December 18, 2011

December 18, 2011 – Solstice Run

I may not always be the 1st to admit it, but I will eventually admit that I was wrong.  Today, I got up at 6:00 to meet my friends to do a 4.5/5mile run up East Rock in honor of the Winter Solstice.  The Solstice is the 21st but this was the next best thing for us.  I thought this would be a good idea.  I’ve done the run in the past and I figured that when we travel home from Zurich, I invariably wake up at an ungodly hour because of jet lag.  This morning that hour was 4am.  Now I didn’t get out of bed at 4am, but I was awake.  Anyway, back to the run.  I swear I thought this was a good idea and I thought that I would do pretty well, although I suspected that I would not be able to make the entire loop because I have not been running consistently.

Well for the record:  This was NOT a good idea.  No, it was a bad idea, a very bad idea.

It was freaking cold this morning.  I was colder here than it was in Zurich.

The 1st ½ mile of the run I was doing ok, but then we started the 2 mile uphill portion.  Yes, the uphill to the summit is approximately 2 miles long.  This is when things took a decidedly downhill turn.  Pun intended.

After ½ a mile on the hill I had to stop and walk.  It was that or curl up into the fetal position and pray for death, but I thought that was a little extreme.  I eventually made it to the summit but not quite in time to see the sunrise.  I also have to admit that in a twisted was I had fun.  It was great to see everyone and catch up a little, but next time I’ll take a car and a cup of tea to the summit.



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Look I think it is amazing that you do this. I think you are amazing. I can not do it, would love to but my knees gave out on me a long time ago. I am jealous that you do this, that you run that you challenge yourself.

    ReplyDelete