Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7, 2011 – Weekend Update

Well I know all my US friends got an extra hour of sleep (hoorah!) which puts me back at 6 hours ahead of ya’ll.  Let me just state for the record that so far Monday has been pretty good so I anticipate that it will be good for you as well.

Now onto my weekend:

I read a couple of books by Gerri Hill, I’ll review those tomorrow.  Mostly the weekend was taken up with relaxing.  However, Sunday L and I took a trip into Zürich to go to the “58. Zürich Wein-Ausstellung” which pretty much means we went to the Wine Boats for a giant wine tasting. 

First let me point out the following:

I rarely drink.

What I know about wine could fill a thimble:

            Red wine gives me a headache (and no not from drinking too much of it)

            I don’t like wine that tastes woody.  I think the correct term is oaky.

            I don’t enjoy a harsh aftertaste.

Now none of this is really a deterrent because I would like to at least have some idea of what kinds of wines I do like and could possibly enjoy on a special occasion.  So I figured this would be a good way to experience a variety of wines and heck it seemed like it would be a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Off we went to the boats and let me confirm that it was fun.  We found about 10 wines that I liked the taste of, which means we had to have tasted 20 wines.  Ok are you getting a picture here?  I rarely drink.  Rarely.  When you go to the counter you ask for a particular type of wine (or in my case point) and they pour a shot-full into a wine glass.  Sometimes L and I each had a glass other times, especially later, we shared a glass.  We had a nice conversation with a gentleman at one of the Swiss Wine booths.  He was very helpful and tried to explain where some of the grapes came from and which wines would be woody.  It turns out I enjoy a number of Swiss Wines.  I’ve also been told that a wine snob would turn their nose up at that statement.  Then again, I also really enjoy Coors Light so… there you have it.  I like what I like.  I also don’t seem to appreciate wines from Austria.  Now I’m willing to say that it’s possible that some of the wines I enjoyed later in the experience could be because it was later in the experience and I had that goofy smirk/grin on my face which is a pretty good indicator that I’m a bit “Happy”.

So what wines did we like?  In no particular order and please forgive the lack of translation:

2009    Pinot Blanc from Les Coteaux du Partage     (Swiss)

2009    Riesling AOC, Amphitryon from Domaine du Mont d’Or    (Swiss)

Conegliano-Valdobbiadene Prosecco Sup. Extra Dry            (Italian) (ok just a side note, I really liked this, and I had no idea what Prosecco was before but I think I will try and drink it New Years Eve)

Chardonnay Don du Tariquet Gascogie         (French) (This one was not in the book so I am not sure I wrote the label down correctly but it was excellent)

2010    “goutte d’Or”, Domaine de Champreveyres AOC     (Swiss)

2008    AUREUM, Chardonnay, AOC                      (Swiss)

2010    Viognier, Le Jamelles  (French)

2009    Riesling trocken <<BLAUSCHIEFER>>, Bastgen, Mosel   (German)



Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment