Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 30, 2011 – Barcelona Part 2

Did I happen to mention that similar to NYC where there is a Starbucks on every corner, in Barcelona there is a Gelato Vendor every 20 feet.  I don’t know why it took me so long to realize it, but I’ve decided that the universal language of Europe is Gelato.  Ok maybe not a language, but it should be.  In the US L and I were working on completing the list of 20 burgers you should eat before you die.  We’ll have to pick that back up when we return.  In the meantime we have replaced that with doing a comparison of both the chocolate and gelato quality of every city/country we visit.  So far Switzerland is winning the chocolate race with Belgium running a very close second.  Italy (specifically Venice) is winning the gelato war, but we’ll continue to do our extremely scientific study.

While we were in Barcelona I screwed up my courage and had paella.  Fine, it didn’t take much courage I had the vegetarian version.  I’m not completely insane, I know full well that if I had ordered the seafood version that at least one of the fish would have come with the head intact.  (a) I don’t want my food looking at me and (b) have you ever seen a shrimp???  They are hideous looking.  Besides that I don’t really like crustaceans.  Well except for shrimp cocktail but those are definitely headless.  On the other hand L is very brave and apparently unphased by having the heads on shrimp… etc so she went for the seafood version.  I’m happy to report that we both enjoyed our meals but I did not take a picture of her’s.  Trust me, that’s just fine.

What else did we do?  We went to a couple of museums and I learned a valuable lesson: just because I enjoy some contemporary art does not mean that I will enjoy all contemporary art.  We went to the MAC BA (The Museum of Contemporary Art) and I take full responsibility for this decision.  They were having a special exhibit called “Volum!”.  Seriously, that should have been a clue but I was obviously not paying attention.  Imagine walking into the noisiest bar you have ever been in, then increase the volume about 2 fold, add newsreel and a headache into the mix.  Then call it art.  No I didn’t appreciate the installation.  There must be people out there that see the value in this type of display, but it was beyond my intellectual tastes.

I will be more careful in my future selections.

Some random pictures we took in the city:

I love this picture

 Gelato





I believe this is another Gaudi building.  How cool is the dragon roof...

It seems you can rent these little 3 wheeled car like things





Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Love the dragon roof. I can't wait to see you when you get home. Love, Your Favorite Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me... I fell in love and adopted the gargoyles.... ( and the gar-mice)....


    Also love the dragon roof and I think you are correct about it being a Gaudi.

    ReplyDelete