Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1, 2011 – Growing Up

What do I want to be when I grow up?  I know we have all asked ourselves that question, but at some point do you stop asking that question?  I find ever few years that question starts rolling around my brain in an unfocused random sort of way.

What do I want to be when I grow up?  I remember the very first time I decided what I wanted to be:  I was watching the Perry Mason Show on our Black & White TV and I distinctly remember thinking that I wanted to be just like Perry Mason.  I wanted to be a lawyer.  I have no idea how old I was, I might have been 7.  I don’t think my lawyer phase lasted very long.  As a matter of fact, that particular memory is the only time I recall thinking I wanted to be a lawyer.

When I was a little older I wanted to run my own company.  Pretty much I wanted to be like my Dad.  He had a manufacturing company and I used to beg him to take me to work on a Saturday.  I think I was 11 when one of the ladies who worked for him (Mary) taught me how to use a soldering iron.  She made me promise not to burn myself, mostly though I got to run the lead bender.  It was this machine that sat in a corner and you would feed it the diodes that would be placed into pc boards later.  The machine would bend the legs and cut them to size.  Most adults hated this job.  I loved it.  I didn’t have to talk to anyone and I could see the progress of my work.  I LOVED going to work with him, ok fine I also really like money.  I liked earning money, I liked SAVING money.  I liked depositing money in my savings account and I really liked going to the bank every month and having them record the interest earned in my passbook.  Funny, I never ever wanted to be a banker.

In high school I decided that I wanted to work in Human Resources.  I just knew that math and I were not friends and this seemed like a good option.  I really don’t know how it came about.  Somehow, when I look back at it, it really didn’t seem like there were that many options: Nurse, Teacher, Accountant, Business Management.  Obviously there were more options but in my limited mind I hadn’t a clue.  I think if I was a kid today I would try to get into Computer Forensics.

Which is neither here nor there, so periodically I go thru a phase of: if I could do anything what would I do?  Go back to school and get my PhD in Comparative Religions or some other Religious niche?  Like discussing religion, all kinds of religions, especially the earth based ones.  Then what would I do?  Teach?  How? 

Keep on the path I am on now: Technology based.  Continue on with Information Protection and Security?  If they would ever make the damn last class I need available I would finish the certificate.

Face it I just like learning new things.  I like to be mentally challenged.

I wonder if the Yale Divinity School has web based programs?

Just for fun: The beast


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. When ever anyone asks I always say, I do not know what I want to be when I grow up, I am just doing this until I decide. I might want to be a tomato farmer one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss the beast. Rub his belly and kiss his snout for me. I really wanted to be an airline pilot and now I don't even enjoy being a passenger. Go figure. Love, Your Favorite Sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Bob's answer *waves at BOB*

    But I wanted to be a zoologist/vet from very young and started studying at a very young age. When I was about nine Jacques Cousteau stopped taking students into his program and I thought my life was over. I went to school and started out in Chemical engineering and then went right back to the whole zoology/vet thing.... and now I build robots. SO I guess... I will eventually go back to that whole zoology/vet thing again at some point why break a trend.

    I have missed the beast's face! Glad to see it here, give him a snuggle from us.

    ReplyDelete