Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 7, 2011 - Cajun Brownies

We head out on our roadtrip Saturday: Prague, Budapest, Vienna and maybe Salzburg.  I'm actually looking forward to it, the drive.  Usually that's not really how I want to spend my time but part of the experience is just "seeing" whatever we see while driving.  When we went to Brugge we saw lots of wind farms.  Those we fun.  The other fun part was my Dad trying to get a picture of the wind farms for me as we drove by at 100 kph.  Maybe all we'll see this time is traffic, but I'm still excited.

What does this have to do with cajun brownies?  Well, I'm trying to get us ready for the road trip.  Soda's, hard candy (to keep me awake), snack stuff, sandwich things.  I'm also trying to clear the fridge out of anthing that wont last 10 days while we are gone.  Along those lines I had an egg hanging out, waiting for some useful purpose.  Lo and behold I have a box of brownie mix that calls for 1 egg.  Of course I'm going to make the brownies.  They can qualify as road trip snacks.   Unfortunately, I learned a valuable lesson.  Ok maybe a couple of lessons.
(1) Although I rarely if ever use the oven, never assume that the last thing I used the oven for was for baking brownies.
(2) When your gut says "maybe I should double check what 350 degree's fahrenheit converts to in Celsius", it's probably a good idea to check.

If you are wondering, 350 degrees converts to 176 degrees celsius.... not 220.  220 degrees Celsius is more like 428 degrees fahrenheit.  I have no clue what I could have used the oven for at that temperature but I can absolutely confirm that when you cook brownies at that temperature they come out a wee bit blackened.  Hence Cajun Brownies.  So instead of wasting an egg I wasted a bownie mix.  Which seems so much worse. 

I actually have this delusional hope that if I cut off the edges... really really big edges, and add ice cream to the mix they center might be edible.  Ok, yes, I know the answer to that is unlikely but a girl has got to dream.


**** Brownie Update ****
Well I am happy to report that after cutting off the edges of the brownies they have been saved


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't you smell them getting burnt? Sorry you wasted a perfectly good brownie mix. Enjoy the trip. Love, Your Favorite Sister.

    ReplyDelete