Monday, September 19, 2011

September 19, 2011 – Praha a.k.a. Prague


The path to hell is paved with the best of intentions… the same can be said of blogging while on vacation when all you have available is your iPod.  I’m sure you’ll forgive the silence.


I am happy to report that we were able to find each of our destinations and hotels with minimal stress and panic.  Sure there were a few incidents where I was a little freaked out trying to figure out if I should be driving on the tram tracks or next to them or if I was about to head the wrong way down a one way street.  There is just something a bit unnerving about (a) driving in a foreign country (b) being completely unable to read the street signs.  I’ve gotten a little more comfortable with signs written in German.  Not that I necessarily know what they say, but I can at least identify the word in comparison to a map or the GPS.  Well, if I thought German was tough it seems downright easy compared to the Czech alphabet.

Our first real adventure in the Czech Republic was stopping on the highway to get gas.  Now this might not seem that exciting except that the bill was 1,575.00 ck for ½ a tank of gas.  Thankfully I had a credit card but both L and I were left wondering what the heck the exchange rate between Euro’s and CK’s were.  We said a quick prayer that it wasn’t a 2 for 1 exchange.

We did a lot of running around in Prague, checking out the buildings and the various sights.  These are some of my favorites:

L and I in Prague (we did take a picture of our feet but we figured why not show all of us)


We spotted this walkway that is so narrow they have a “traffic” light to tell you when you can go.  Two people can not fit at the same time:



Then there was the astronomical clock.  I have no idea how it tells time, but it appears to tell the month/day and time:

The Jewish Quarter:

It's mind boggling that they have so many people buried in this small area, because that was what was available during the German occupation.



Can someone tell me what the deal is with Prague and Marionette’s?  They are EVERYWHERE oh and the Obama marionette was a big hit with tourists walking by.  I’m not sure if it was intended as a political statement or not….






I also reaffirmed that I have a "thing" about gargoyles or gargoyle like things...



Random things:



Someone obviously ticked this guy off...

This guy too..


 


Copyright © C.A. Bailey 2010 - 2011, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Those marionettes are pretty scary looking. Love, Your Favorite Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great BLOG!

    My own "thing" about gargoyles is that I do not like them at all. They are CREEPY!
    Sorry Sweets, I am not sure what your take is on them?

    XOXO
    Me

    The price of gas? Heart attack time...
    How did that turn out?

    ReplyDelete